Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Egg....sighhhhhh

On Sunday, September 12th, one of our hens laid her first egg for us...Now mind you, these hens have been laying before they arrived here, but it took a while for one of them to get comfortable and give us her labor of love....

My First Egg!

What you can't see is two things:

The truly beautiful pale blue color....which did not show up because this was taken with my phone and,
There was a CRACK in the egg!!!

Unfortunately, our hen's egg shell is a bit thin because of the stress of moving and getting settled. So...when she laid her egg...she accidentally broke it.....

It was like waiting in the labor room...listening and watching Poochy all day...she'd go in and out of her nesting box, kick out all of the hay...we'd put the hay back..she'd kick it all out....UGGHHH

Then the noise began...now let me explain the best I can in this format...its kind of like what a rooster sounds like..only more feminine?  They say that when they are getting ready to lay and even right after they lay, they make a lot of noise...I'm here to confirm that..they make a lot of noise.

Finally, in between our dinner with friends, I snuck out to peek in the nesting box and YAY, her beautiful light blue (Martha would be proud) egg was there waiting for me to collect it......I brought it in, held it high and announced the arrival of Chicken Head Farm's first egg!!

Our evening was followed by a lovely dinner prepared by me...Roast chicken dinner with all the fixins, but no worries, my girls were all safe in their chicken coop...not on our dinner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment